While we want to keep on eating whatever is in front of us after the Halloween candy is gone, sometimes you just need to lighten up the holidays. This #SundaySupper is all about lighter things, without lightening the taste! I chose a shepherd’s pie. This is made with mushrooms and can be made into easy portions. The dishes photographed are easily 2 servings, the dishes themselves were way too pretty to not use! I made four of these in regular sized ramekins and it was great because you still had room for veggies and salad and of course a small dessert without rolling away from the table.
Roasting the mushrooms brings out such a great flavour. I add a pat of margarine to the dish when it’s going back into the oven just so there’s no chance of drying out. You can also layer this with a layer of mushroom, a light layer of potato, mushrooms layer and then top with your potato mound. Potato mounds are the best!
Mini Mushroom Shepherd’s Pies
- 3 lbs potatoes peeled and quartered
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 4 Tbsp margarine
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onions halved and sliced
- 3 medium portobello mushroom caps
- 1 1/2 lbs assorted wild mushrooms chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley thyme, oregano, and/or sage
- 1/4 cup margarine
- Put potatoes in pot, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain. Mash with non-dairy milk and margarine until smooth. Add chives, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cool.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and cook 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Chop portobellos, wild mushrooms and toss with olive oil and garlic. Roast 25 minutes, or until tender. Toss with herbs, and onions.
- Coat baking sheet and inside of 8 ramekins or 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray. Distribute the mushroom mixture to create a layer and dot with 2 tablespoons of margarine (divided). Top with potatoes, shaping each into dome. Bake 40 minutes, or until golden.
- Lightened Up Eggnog by The Redhead Baker
- Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie Malted Milkshake by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Appetizer or starter
- Gruyere Cheese Puffs by Sustainable Dad
- Lighten-up Sausage Rolls by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spaghetti Squash, Pears and Kale with Shrimp by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Lightened Up Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spicy Eggplant Dip by Cooking Chat
- Carciofi alla Trapanese by Manu’s Menu
- Fresh Salmon Carpaccio by Food Lust People Love
- Holiday Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes and Corn by Family Foodie
- Mini Mushroom Shepherd’s Pies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Grandma’s Mac n’ Cheese by What Smells So Good?
- Lean Mean Cheeseburger Soup by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Chicken Sausage Soup by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Lightened-Up Fettuccine Alfredo by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Brunch with Joy
- Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Hearts of Palm, Artichoke, Avocado and Butter Lettuce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Quick and Easy Sweet Potato by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Almond-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli by The Texan New Yorker
- Tangy, Spiced Red Cabbage by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots by Ruffles & Truffles
- Shrimp Salad with White Wine Vinaigrette by eating in instead
- Cranberry Orange Glazed Green Beans by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Green Beans with Rosemary Garlic Butter by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mediterranean Lentil Stuffed Delicata Squash by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Leaner Green Beans by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Tri-Colored Carrot Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Horiatki Salata by Peaceful Cooking
- Healthier Potluck Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Farro Stuffing with Cranberries and Walnuts by The Dinner-Mom
- Roasted Parsnip and Apple Soup by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Sweet Apple Bites by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Individual Cheesecakes by Nosh My Way
- Light and Luscious Chocolate Cheesecake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Healthy Brownie Recipe | Applesauce Brownies by The Perfect Brownie
- Peanut Butter Coconut Mini Bars by Basic N Delicious
- The Blondie Recipe by Wallflour Girl
- Cinnamon Roll Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Skinny Ninja Cheesecake by NinjaBaker.com
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pumpkin Blondie by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.