So when I think of picking blueberries I always think of my grandmother. Cape Breton has some brilliant wild blueberries. This week for Sunday Supper we’re talking about being on the hunt. Foraging, finding cool wild things to eat. Well, blueberries always come to mind but since I’m in California my most forraged food is lemons from my lemon tree out back. Why not pair them together to make something sweet?
Blueberries obviously aren’t in season. Most people freeze them when they get them at their prime but if you have a dehydrator (or an oven and patience) I highly suggest dehydrating them! That way you can easily add them to baked goods without the bleeding, and granola and such.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- Non-dairy milk for brushing tops
- Granulated sugar for tops
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease baking sheet. In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix non-dairy, milk, lemon zest, and vanilla in medium bowl. Stir in dried blueberries. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Pat into 2 circles about 3/4-inch thick and cut into scone triangles. Place 1/2 inch apart on baking sheet. (If making ahead, stop here, wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate.) Brush tops with non-dairy milk, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes, until tops are lightly browned.
Spread it on Thick
- Homemade Mascarpone from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sugar Plum Fairy Jam from What Smells So Good?
- Porcini Compound Butter from Nosh My Way
Nibbles and Sides
- Baked Rice with Mushrooms from Basic N Delicious
- Brie Blackberry Bites from Family Foodie
- Foie Gras Bites from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Miso Risotto from Crazy Foodie Stunts
The Main Event
- Bourbon Butter Venison Bites from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Fennel Frond Pappardelle with Rabbit, Muscat, and Cream from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Korean-style Tripe from kimchi MOM
- Lapin au Cidre – Cider Braised Rabbit from Food Lust People Love
- Maple Bison Blueberry Burgers from Noshing With The Nolands
- Rabbit Braised with Kalamata Olives and Prunes from The Texan New Yorker
- Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet from Nik Snacks
- Wild Venison Sausage Gravy from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Turkey, Wild Rice and Mushroom Casserole from Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Wild Boar Pacific Rim Sliders from Peaceful Cooking
- Blueberry Ice Cream with Chocolate Sauce from From the Bookshelf
- German Fruit and Nut Bars from Magnolia Days
- Grilled Bananas/Toast Topped with Chocolate and Cheese from Brunch with Joy
- Lemon Blueberry Scones from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Raspberry Muffins from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow from Pies and Plots
- Ultimate Chewy Brownies from The Perfect Brownie
- Vanilla Poached Tamarillos from Manu’s Menu
- Wild Blackberry Scones with Lemon Glaze from The Foodie Army Wife
- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Topped Waffles from NinjaBaker.com