Sometimes I just want a different type of salad when I’m having a bbq (which is year round in California, just being honest here). Potato salad is always a hit in this house but I can never live up to my Mother In Law’s salad according to my husband. That’s totally cool, I don’t try to replicate, I just make something different.
And this potato salad is different. Bonus, you can leave it out at a picnic, no mayo! And not very much oil to make up for it. The consensus was “THIS ROCKS!” and leftovers got eaten even if it isn’t very photogenic. It’s a nice change from a creamy or oily potato salad with no oomph. The spices are to taste so if your family likes it a bit hotter, adjust your hot sauce and spices. It’s all up to you! I measured to give you a gauge and this was rated above the burgers among the meat eaters.
- 4-5 medium red potatoes
- 1 dill pickle
- 1 shallot
- 1 stalk celery (optional)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (optional)
- 1 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce
- Cut potatoes into bite size pieces and boil until cooked through.
- Finely chop your pickle, celery, shallot and bell pepper, then set aside.
- In a bowl big enough to fit your potatoes and chopped veggies mix the oil, vinegar, spices, mustard and hot sauce. Spice it how you see fit.
- Drain the potatoes and pour them into the bowl with the oil and vinegar dressing you just prepared.
- Add your chopped veggies in the potato bowl and mix everything together with a spoon carefully so as not to mash up the potatoes
- Refrigerate for a few hours until chilled or overnight. Serve chilled.
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- “Beef” Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa “Meatballs” by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean “Meatballs” with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess Makes Food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas and Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli, Mushroom, and Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu’s Menu
- Quinoa Black Bean Burger with Ginger Cilantro & Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida’s Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.