I’ve been playing with this recipe for a long time, it has become my tried and true chili recipe. It started off full of meat and full of other unnecessary ingredients so I’ve played with it for a long time. I really wanted to make this vegan.
Some say beans don’t have a place in chili and some think they do. I like both “meat” and beans. A full bean chili is a bit too much for me and a full meat analog chili is too rich. As for meat substitutes there are many on the market. I LOVE Match Meats but it is pretty hard to get in California. Hey Match, get on that! I’ve used LightLife and Boca crumbles just fine. What’s really great is there is no “browning” the meat. Heck, you just dump it in the slow cooker.
The secret to this recipe? The refried beans. It makes a brilliant texture, especially since things don’t really reduce well in the slow cooker. The husband requests this chili and he’s a full on meat eater. It makes a great bowl of plain chili but also awesome chili dogs and chili baked potatoes. I also like the make the full amount of seasoning mix. It works well sprinkled on so many things. Really spices up some veggies or a baked potato. Handy to have in the pantry.
- 4 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 package (12oz) frozen meatless crumbles
- 1 Tbsp onion, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15oz)
- 1 can tomato sauce (15oz)
- 1 can chili beans
- 1 can vegetarian refried beans
- Mix together seasoning mix. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- In the slow cooker, add all of the chili ingredients and 3 tablespoons of seasoning mix.
- Stir together and break up the refried beans and meatless crumbles.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Will YOU be a part of the #SundaySupper Chili Cook-Off judges panel this week? Voting is live at the Sunday Supper Movement Online Community Magazine starting now and concluding (fittingly) on February 27 – National Chili Day! Browse the submissions and cast your vote by clicking HERE!
Beef and Bison Chili
- Bison & Black Bean Chili from It’s Yummi!
- Cincinnati Chili from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Bean Chili from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Chili con Carne from Manu’s Menu
- Gesundheit Chili from Magnolia Days
- Hellfire Chili from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Hoisin Beef Chili from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Moroccan Harissa Spiked Chili from MarocMama
- Short Rib Chili from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Chili from Hip Foodie Mom
Chicken, Duck, and Turkey Chili
- Asian Five Spice Duck Chili from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Buffalo Turkey Chili from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken and Bell Pepper Chili from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Meatball Chipotle Chili from Soni’s Food
- Gluten Free Turkey Chili from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Kickin’ Chicken Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Low Calorie Turkey Chili from Basic N Delicious
- Olé Mole Turkey Chili from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Quick & Easy Chipotle Turkey Chili from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Shockingly Delicious Chili Mole with Red Beans and Raisins from Shockingly Delicious
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili from Family Foodie
- Thai Chicken Chili from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- White Chicken Chili from The Foodie Army Wife
Mixed (meat combo) Chili
- Best Damn Chili Ever from Noshing With The Nolands
- Chili con Tres Carne from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Daddy’s Favorite Chili from Momma’s Meals
- Harlem Meatloaf Chili from Neighborfood
- Leslie’s Best Chili from La Cocina de Leslie
Fish and Seafood Chili
- Scrumptious Seafood Chili from A Kitchen Hoor
- Easy Vegetarian Chili with Raisins and Cashews from Delaware Girl Eats
- New Orleans Style Vegetarian Chili from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Vegan Slow Cooker Chili from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Chicken Chili Cheese Fries from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chili Cornbread Cupcakes from In The Kitchen With KP
- Chili Topped Tater Tots from Ruffles & Truffles
- Spicy Chili Mac from girlichef
Best Wines To Pair with Chili #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.