I’m still on a mission to keep things simple. This recipe is so easy I’ve made it twice! The first time I made it I was happily impressed with how it came out but knew it could use something more. The second time I made it I added some Tofurkey sausage to the dish to give it a bit more of a meaty flavour. I liked both but if you can get the vegetarian sausages I’d go that route.
The hardest part of this recipe is remembering to soak the beans. You can do a quick soak which involves boiling but if you are setting this to cook while you are at work it is pretty easy to remember to soak the beans before you go to bed. The kale does seem like it won’t fit but it wilts right down into the pot losing no nutrients and brings a great flavour to the beans.
Vegan Slow Cooker Hoppin’ John
- 1 pound dry black eyed peas soaked overnight
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 vegetarian sausages like Tofurkey, sliced, optional
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 10.5-ounce can Rotel
- 1 bunch of collard greens or kale chopped
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
- dash liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup of pre-cooked brown rice
- Soak your beans overnight in a bunch of water and drain well in the morning and rinse in cool water. Put the beans directly into your slow cooker.
- Pour in vegetable broth. Stir in sausage, garlic, Rotel, greens, oregano, red pepper flakes liquid smoke and salt & pepper. You may need to shove in greens to get the lid on nicely.
- Cook on low for 8 to 12 hours, or until the beans are soft. Add the pre-cooked rice and stir well before serving.
Ease into 2014 with these great slow-cooker and crock pot ideas from the Sunday Supper Group!
Whet Your Appetite
Simmering Soups, Stews, and Side Dishes
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Low-Carb Chunky Beefy Vegetable Soup from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Beef, Wine and Mushroom Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup from Foxes Love Lemons
- Beef Stew from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pot Roast and Portabello Stew from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Slow Cooker Black Bean and Polenta Stew from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Turkey Stew from Magnolia Days
- San Antonio Chunky Chicken Stew from The Weekend Gourmet
- Pumpkin, Chickpea & Lentil Stew from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Slow Cooker Chickpeas from Shockingly Delicious
- Football Sunday Teriyaki Pulled Pork from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Apricot Jalapeno Pork Chops from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Vegan Slow Cooker Hoppin’ John from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow Cooker Coffee Glazed Brisket from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chipotle Honey BBQ Ribs from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Crockpot Country Style Pork Ribs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Jerk Pork from Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Beef Daube Provencal from Momma’s Meals
- Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore from The Dinner-Mom
- Chicken and Broccoli from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tacos de Lengua from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken & Black Beans for Tacos from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chinese Chicken from The Ninja Baker
- Slow Cooker Beef Brisket French Dip Sandwiches from Neighborfood
(Visited 241 times, 1 visits today)