I don’t make a lot of pies, but when I do I like them to count. Sure, there’s regular apple pie but this Dutch version is so much more. The sweetness comes from the raisins and sugar coating. As in: no, there is not much added sugar! That’s a great treat.
Recipe adapted from The Dutch Table
Vegan Dutch Apple Tart Recipe
For the crust
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 12 Tbsp margarine 1.5 sticks, cold
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp unsweetened almond milk, cold
For the filling
- 2-3 very large tart apples
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup raisins soaked in apple juice
- 1 Tbsp Speculass Spices
- 2 Tbsp tapioca flour or cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar reserved for the top of the lattice
Speculaas spice mix:
- 15 grams cinnamon
- 5 grams cloves
- 5 grams nutmeg
- 2 grams white pepper
- 2 grams coriander seed
- 2 grams aniseed
- Mix the flour with the sugar, salt and cut in the margarine. Rub gently and quickly with your hands.
- Add the cold almond milk 1 tablespoon at a time and knead into a dough.Do not work too much with hands. Do the kneading quickly.
- Refrigerate the dough at least for half an hour or until the dough is firm and pliable.
- Peel (optional) and core the apples. Cut the apples and slice them. Donâ€™t make them small. They have to be big slices.
- Toss them with the rest of the ingredients, except the sugar and set aside.
- Grease and dust a spring form or deep pie pan.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator, keep aside 1/4th of the dough.
- Press the remaining dough onto the base and 3/4 the height of the sides of the spring form pan.
- Now add in the apple raisin mixture, press lightly to fit in.
- Create the lattice. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough and cut into strips.
- With the last bit of dough, roll into a rope like and place around the circumference of the pie.
- Brush the top with almond milk and sprinkle some sugar. Bake at 350 F for 75 minutes.
‘); // ]]>