As you might guess, I generally don’t *do* eggnog, but there is soy versions all over the market. I felt festive buying it and knew it would get used up in recipes. Especially this random recipe for waffles! Most recipes like this would call for buttermilk but instead of making my own vegan version I just substituted in some soynog!
This recipe has a bit more sugar because well, cranberries. Not so sweet. Most of the time I’d let the waffles lead on the less sweet side but this is a special occasion. You could double up on the cranberries with a cranberry compote if you are feeling festive but I just love maple syrup too much.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons orange zest, finely minced
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup soy eggnog
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- In a small bowl, mix cranberries, sugar, zest, and set aside.
- In large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another small bowl, oil, eggnog, OJ, and margarine, then add this mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Fold cranberry mixture into the other mixed ingredients.
- Heat a lightly greased waffle iron and cook to manufacturers specs.