Well, it’s another #SundaySupper and the theme was squash. I’m going to be honest here… I don’t like squash. Sorry! However, pumpkin is technically a squash and I can bake a ton of tasty treats with that! Just can’t appreciate it savory, go figure.
I had a hard time deciding on what to create. Â I obviously have scones on my mind as I just made another recipe on Thursday but they went too fast.Â I’ve been making a lot of pumpkin creations but I haven’t had pumpkin scones in a while. I figured a nice scone with some icing would be perfect. Most scones have egg or egg replacer, I just used a bit of extra pumpkin. These turned out so nice! I was pretty proud to bring these to work, but also a little bummed because I had to share them. I guess I’ll just make more.
Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg Icing
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp cold shortening
- 4 Tbsp cold margarine
- 3/4 cup cooked or canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp almond milk for brushing on the scones, not the mix
Maple Nutmeg Icing Ingredients:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp almond milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the dry ingredients together (down to the brown sugar) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the cold shortening and margarine until the mixture gets crumbly.
- Add in pumpkin and other wet ingredients. Combine gently.
- Separate the dough into 2 disks, and cut each into 6 wedges. Separate and place on the baking sheet.
- Brush the tops gently with almond milk.
- Bake until the scones are firm and slightly golden- about 20 minutes. Cool scones on a wire rack and make the icing.
- Adjust the consistency of the icing accordingly. Use only a little liquid at a time. If it gets too thin, add more powdered sugar. Drizzle over cooled scones,
Breakfasts and Breads
- Maple Butternut Squash Donuts from Mess Makes Food
- Pumpkin Sweet Rolls from Basic N Delicious
- Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg IcingÂ from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Appetizers, Starters, and Condiments
- Butternut Squash and Couscous Patties-Indian Inspired from Soni’s Food
- Pumpkin Hummus with Spiced Lamb from girlichef
- Quick Pumpkin ButterÂ from Shockingly Delicious
Soups, Sandwiches, and Salads
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili from Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Pumpkin Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Grilled Cheese from Ruffles & Truffles
- Butternut Squash Soup from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hearty Quinoa Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash from Citronlimette
- Roasted Buttercup Squash and Black Bean Soup (Dairy free) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean SaladÂ from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Roasted Squash and Sesame Noodle SaladÂ from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas from The Dinner-Mom
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Balsamic Brown ButterÂ from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Butternut Squash Lasagna from Hip Foodie Mom
- Butternut Squash-Sage Cream Sauce with Sausage SpaghettiÂ from Daily Dish Recipes
- Carnival Squash with Maple Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn Squash from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Butternut Squash with Spicy Wild Rice and Queso Fresco from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Pumpkin Alfredo from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Enchiladas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Pecans from The Weekend Gourmet
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprout Pizza from Curious Cuisiniere
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash in a Creamy Sausage Sauce from Cookin’ Mimi
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi from Pescetarian Journal
- Acorn Squash with Cinnamon and CranberriesÂ from Noshing With The Nolands
- Butternut Squash and Apple Crumble from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chorizo and Craisin Stuffed Acorn Squash from Family Foodie
- Parmesan-Roasted Acorn Squash from The Urban Mrs
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese from Big Bear’s Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Balsamic Vinegar Honey Butter from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Skillet Buttercup Squash with Bacon from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Squash and Apples from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Sweet N Spicy Baked Chipotle Butternut Squash Fries from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Twice Baked Pumpkin Stuffed Sweet PotatoesÂ from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Browned Butter Frosting from Treats & Trinkets
- Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars from Pies and Plots
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Squashin’ Winter #SundaySupper from Enofylz Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Â Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Itâ€™s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.