Another cookie recipe. This sugar cookie can be shaped as anything but hey, I have a Star of David cookie cutter and it’s almost Hanukkah! Hanukkah and Thanksgiving all on the same day, sounds like a recipe for lots of tasty food! We’re heading out to a friend’s house, or maybe two. Lots of time with friends since family are far away.
This recipe gets a bit of tang from sour cream. Perfect if you are like us and can never use up a whole container of sour cream, it’s just not on our condiment list usually. A little bit of lemon to brighten things up as well. Plus, coloured sugar. That’s always festive! You can make the dough ahead and keep it in the fridge for a few days if needed. Perfect if you want fresh cookies the day of your holiday or if you just don’t have time to make everything on the same day.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tsps lemon extract
- 1/2 cup Tofutti sour cream
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 Tbsp margarine
- 3/4 tsp lemon extract
- 3 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 3 to 4 Tbsp almond milk
- Yellow colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Stir in sour cream and peel.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into three balls; cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with a floured star cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar, margarine, extract, food coloring if desired and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency.
- Frost cookies; sprinkle with colored sugar if desired.
FIRST COURSE / APPETIZERS
- Harvest Soup from Bea of The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Horseradish Cranberry & Herbed Cheese Bites from Jen of Juanita’s Cocina
- Savory Rosemary Baklava with Brie from Christie of A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
SAVORY BREADS + STUFFING
- Cloverleaf Rolls from Micha of Cookin’ Mimi
- Freeze and Bake Buttermilk Biscuits from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Picnic Roll from Linda of The Urban Mrs
- Raspberry and Brie Crescent Rolls from Karen of In The Kitchen With KP
- Cornbread Stuffing with Chorizo and Craisins from Isabel at Family Foodie
- Easy Gluten-Free Corn “Bread” Stuffing from Laura at Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Eggless Herb and Garlic Fresh Pasta from Sarah at What Smells So Good?
- Honey Orange Turkey Breast from Cindy at Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Brussels Sprout Latkes from Susan atThe Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cheesey Scalloped Potatoes from Shaina at Take A Bite Out Of Boca
- Cornucopia Sweet Potato Barley Salad from Wendy at The Weekend Gourmet
- Creamy Scalloped Corn from Alaiyo at Pescetarian Journal
- Fried Smashed Potatoes from Renee at Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Grandpa’s Simple Stuffing from Bobbi at Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Green Beans with Pecans and Cranberries from Tara at Noshing With The Nolands
- Honey and Cinnamon Glazed Sweet Potatoes from Jennifer at Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Italian American Turkey Dressing from Anne at Webicurean
- Loaded Mashed Potato Bake from Lori at Foxes Love Lemons
- Maple Sweet Potatoes with Browned Butter Pecan Topping from Brianne at Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Mushroom and Barley Casserole with Bacon, Gruyere and Spinach from Heather at Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries and Blue Cheese from Sarah at Curious Cuisiniere
DESSERTS + SWEET BREADS
- Almond Brioche Sticky Buns from Alice at Hip Foodie Mom
- Baked Caramel Apple Cider Donuts from Nicole at Daily Dish Recipes
- Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie from Cheryl at Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Blue Ribbon Meyer Lemon Mascarpone Cheesecake from Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious
- Bourbon Pecan Pie from Julie at The Texan New Yorker
- Chocolate Moussecake from Liz at That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Rolls from Conni at The Foodie Army Wife
- Gingered Butternut Squash Tart from Renee of Magnolia Days
- Hanukkah Lemon Star Cookies from Shannon at Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Manischewitz, Cranberry Double Holiday Donuts from Kim at Ninja Baking
- Mini Maple Sweet Potato Tarts from Holly at Mess Makes Food
- Mini Pumpkin Pies from Nichole at Casa de Crews
- Mom’s Custard Pie from Courtney at Neighborfood
- No Bake Pumpkin Spiced Cheesecake from Tammi of Momma’s Meals
- Plum and Blackberry Crumble from Katy at Happy Baking Days
- Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake from Heather at girlichef
- Salted Butterscotch Pudding from Jane at Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Salted Caramel Apple Pie from Laura at Pies and Plots
- Sweet Potato Pecan Gingersnap Pie from Paula at Vintage Kitchen Notes
All American Wine Pairing Guide for Being Thankful #SundaySupper from Martin at ENOFYLZ Wine Blog