Another cookie recipe. This sugar cookie can be shaped as anything but hey, I have a Star of David cookie cutter and it’s almost Hanukkah! Hanukkah and Thanksgiving all on the same day, sounds like a recipe for lots of tasty food! We’re heading out to a friend’s house, or maybe two. Lots of time with friends since family are far away.
This recipe gets a bit of tang from sour cream. Perfect if you are like us and can never use up a whole container of sour cream, it’s just not on our condiment list usually. A little bit of lemon to brighten things up as well. Plus, coloured sugar. That’s always festive! You can make the dough ahead and keep it in the fridge for a few days if needed. Perfect if you want fresh cookies the day of your holiday or if you just don’t have time to make everything on the same day.
Hanukkah Lemon Star Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tsps lemon extract
- 1/2 cup Tofutti sour cream
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 Tbsp margarine
- 3/4 tsp lemon extract
- 3 drops yellow food coloring optional
- 3 to 4 Tbsp almond milk
- Yellow colored sugar optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Stir in sour cream and peel.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into three balls; cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with a floured star cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar, margarine, extract, food coloring if desired and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency.
- Frost cookies; sprinkle with colored sugar if desired.
FIRST COURSE / APPETIZERS
- Harvest Soup from Bea of The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Horseradish Cranberry & Herbed Cheese Bites from Jen of Juanita’s Cocina
- Savory Rosemary Baklava with Brie from Christie of A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
SAVORY BREADS + STUFFING
- Cloverleaf Rolls from Micha of Cookin’ Mimi
- Freeze and Bake Buttermilk Biscuits from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Picnic Roll from Linda of The Urban Mrs
- Raspberry and Brie Crescent Rolls from Karen of In The Kitchen With KP
- Cornbread Stuffing with Chorizo and Craisins from Isabel at Family Foodie
- Easy Gluten-Free Corn “Bread” Stuffing from Laura at Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Eggless Herb and Garlic Fresh Pasta from Sarah at What Smells So Good?
- Honey Orange Turkey Breast from Cindy at Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Brussels Sprout Latkes from Susan atThe Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cheesey Scalloped Potatoes from Shaina at Take A Bite Out Of Boca
- Cornucopia Sweet Potato Barley Salad from Wendy at The Weekend Gourmet
- Creamy Scalloped Corn from Alaiyo at Pescetarian Journal
- Fried Smashed Potatoes from Renee at Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Grandpa’s Simple Stuffing from Bobbi at Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Green Beans with Pecans and Cranberries from Tara at Noshing With The Nolands
- Honey and Cinnamon Glazed Sweet Potatoes from Jennifer at Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Italian American Turkey Dressing from Anne at Webicurean
- Loaded Mashed Potato Bake from Lori at Foxes Love Lemons
- Maple Sweet Potatoes with Browned Butter Pecan Topping from Brianne at Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Mushroom and Barley Casserole with Bacon, Gruyere and Spinach from Heather at Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries and Blue Cheese from Sarah at Curious Cuisiniere
DESSERTS + SWEET BREADS
- Almond Brioche Sticky Buns from Alice at Hip Foodie Mom
- Baked Caramel Apple Cider Donuts from Nicole at Daily Dish Recipes
- Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie from Cheryl at Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Blue Ribbon Meyer Lemon Mascarpone Cheesecake from Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious
- Bourbon Pecan Pie from Julie at The Texan New Yorker
- Chocolate Moussecake from Liz at That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Rolls from Conni at The Foodie Army Wife
- Gingered Butternut Squash Tart from Renee of Magnolia Days
- Hanukkah Lemon Star Cookies from Shannon at Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Manischewitz, Cranberry Double Holiday Donuts from Kim at Ninja Baking
- Mini Maple Sweet Potato Tarts from Holly at Mess Makes Food
- Mini Pumpkin Pies from Nichole at Casa de Crews
- Mom’s Custard Pie from Courtney at Neighborfood
- No Bake Pumpkin Spiced Cheesecake from Tammi of Momma’s Meals
- Plum and Blackberry Crumble from Katy at Happy Baking Days
- Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake from Heather at girlichef
- Salted Butterscotch Pudding from Jane at Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Salted Caramel Apple Pie from Laura at Pies and Plots
- Sweet Potato Pecan Gingersnap Pie from Paula at Vintage Kitchen Notes
All American Wine Pairing Guide for Being Thankful #SundaySupper from Martin at ENOFYLZ Wine Blog