Happy Halloween! I thought today I would start off the holidays with a recipe. Sure, Christmas and other holiday decorations have been out in shops at least for a month or so but today is all about being spooky. Being spooky with gingerbread men!
I made an army of men, but you can make an army of bunnies (their skeleton was too tricky, I’m pretty crappy at icing), shoes, stars or whatever you want. I like to make these cookies a bit thick so they are still chewy and not so crunchy.
They do puff up a bit and spread a tiny bit so just don’t place them on top of each other and you will be fine. I didn’t include an icing recipe but mine is just almond milk and confectioners sugar mixed until I can pipe it. Start with 2 cups of confectioners sugar and add 2-3 tablespoons of almond milk to see if it’s enough.
Gingerbread Men Cookies Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup margarine softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in large bowl. Set aside.
- Beat margarine and brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses, oil and vanilla. Mix well.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Press dough into a thick flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350Âº F. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness on lightly floured work surface. Cut into gingerbread men or other shapes. Place 1 inch apart on baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies are set and just begin to brown. Cool on baking sheets 1 to 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. Decorate cooled cookies as desired. Store cookies in airtight container up to 5 days.