Another monthly dessert challenge! This month was a fitting pair: pumpkin and cream cheese. My cream cheese of choice is Tofutti but there are a few other brands on the market.
I was thinking of just frosting these bars with the cream cheeze frosting but I was a bit ahead of myself when I was baking them pulling out ingredients so I made a swirl instead. Unfortunately I also forgot to take a photo and had to save a corner piece for the job.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp margerine, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (or close to half of a 15 oz can) pumpkin
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely shredded
- 2 oz tofutti cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp almond milk - add more milk if needed
- Pre-heat oven to 350º. Grease 8x8 pan.
- In small bowl combine the flour, pumpkin spice, baking powder & baking soda.
- In larger bowl beat sugar, brown sugar and margarine until crumbly. Add oil, pumpkin and carrots.
- Beat until well blended. Add flour mixture and mix until well blended. Spread onto greased pan.
- Mix together cream cheese, sugar and almond milk until thoroughly blended.
- Drop teaspoon-fulls of topping over pumpkin batter and swirl mixture with a butter knife.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until cake tester (inserted in center) comes out clean. Cool in pan completely on wire rack before cutting into squares.