Oh what a great #SundaySupper challenge! It’s all about music as a theme, what a cool idea! Â I went back to the 90’s for this one with one of my favourite bands:Â Pop Will Eat Itself, or PWEI. I started getting into them in ’92 but this one is from a different era for them: 1987, almost a different band honestly. When I came across them they already had a bit of Industrial influence but this is super fun pop. The song is called “Sweet Sweet Pie”. It’s sweet! I’m going to be honest, I first thought “16 different flavours of hell” and then backtracked into the song. And was pleasantly surprised.
So I decided I’ve been wanting to make a peach pie for a long time. The crust is a standard half shortening half margarine. The shortening gives it a bit more of a flaky crust, like lard would do in a traditional pie.
The filling is dead simple. Sugar and peaches. A bit of flour to bind it all together so it doesn’t turn into a soup. It was a tiny bit liquidy because it was still warm for photos. I added a bit of spice to my first pie but it didn’t need it. Honestly in the pie I took photos of I forgot to dot it with margarine. I was more into fitting all the peaches into my shallow pie dish. It still tasted great but it’s even better with the margarine.
Fresh Peach Pie Recipe
For The Crust
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold margarine cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cold solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup ice water
For The Filling
- 6-8 large ripe but firm peaches (depending on your pie plate size)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons margarine thinly sliced
- Non-dairy milk to brush the pastry top
For The Crust
- In a food processor, pulse the flour with the sugar and salt until combined. Add the margarine and shortening and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and sprinkle the ice water on top. Stir with a fork until a crumbly dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface and knead 2 or 3 times, just until the dough comes together. Cut the dough in half and form into 2 disks; wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each disk of dough to a 12-inch round.
- Ease one of the rounds into a 9-inch pie plate and transfer the other round to a baking sheet. Refrigerate the dough.
For The Filling
- Preheat the oven to 400Â°.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Using a sharp knife, mark a shallow X in the bottom of each peach. Blanch the peaches in the boiling water for about 1 minute, until the skins begin to loosen. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the peaches to the ice water to cool.
- Drain and peel the peaches and cut them into 3/4-inch wedges. Transfer the peaches to a large bowl. Add the sugar, lemon juice and flour, toss well and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Pour the peaches and their juices into the chilled pie shell and scatter the margarine slices on top. Brush the edge of the pie shell with the non-dairy milk and lay the round of dough from the baking sheet on top.
- Press the edges of the pie shell together to seal and trim the overhang to a 1/2 inch. Fold the edge of the pie dough under itself and crimp decoratively. Brush non-dairy milk on the top crust and cut a few slits for venting steam.
- Transfer the pie to the oven and place a baking sheet in the bottom to catch any drips.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375Â°, cover the edge of the pie with foil and bake for about 40 minutes longer, until the filling is bubbling and the crust is deeply golden on the top and bottom.
Prelude (Beverages):Calimocho (Red Red Wine Cocktail) from La Cocina de Leslie inspired by Red Red Wine by UB40 Dark & Stormy Cocktail Recipe from An Appealing Plan inspired by Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen Horchata from Treats & Trinkets inspired by Horchata by Vampire Weekend Orange Crush from Magnolia Days inspired by Orange Crush by REM Pineapple Lemonade Slushy with Coconut Water from Sueâ€™s Nutrition Buzz inspired by Lemon Tree by Peter, Paul & Mary Strawberry Tequila from Shockingly Delicious inspired by Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles
Overture (Appetizers):Mustard Dill Beer Bread from Curious Cuisiniere inspired by In Heaven There Is No Beer a German Polka
Intermezzo (Entrees & Sides):Chicken and Bacon Cheddar Waffles from I Run For Wine inspired by Gladyâ€™s Knight Classic Fried Chicken from The Food Army Wife inspired by Chicken Fried by Zac Brown Band Margarita Chicken from In The Kitchen With KP inspired by Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet Meatball Duet from Cindyâ€™s Recipes and Writings inspired by On Top of Spaghetti by Tom Glazer Pan-Seared Halibut with Corn Hash and Asparagus Puree from Crazy Foodie Stunts inspired by Saturday Night Fish Fry by Louis Jordan Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy BBQ Pulled Pork from Neighborfood inspired by Something Like That by Tim McGraw Spaghetti and Pork Meatballs from Family Foodie inspired by On Top of Spaghetti by Kidsongs Teriyaki Burger from Juanitaâ€™s Cocina inspired by Cheeseburger in Paradise by Jimmy Buffet
Finale (Desserts):Banana Cream Pie Bars from Peanut Butter and Peppers inspired by Tra La La Song by The Banana Splits Banana Pancake Ice Cream with Maple Brittle from Foxes Love Lemons inspired by Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson Cherry Pie from My Cute Bride inspired by Cherry Pie by Warrant Cherry Marshmallows from Pies and Plots Chocolate Cappuccino Cream Puffs from Runnerâ€™s Tales inspired by Choux Pastry Heart by Corinne Bailey Rae Chocolate Chip, Walnut and Caramel Banana Bread Ice Cream Sandwich from Ruffles & Truffles inspired by Hollaback Girl by Gwen Stefani Chocolate Covered Caramels from Big Bearâ€™s Wife inspired by At Last by Etta James Coconut Rum Blondies from Gotta Get Baked inspired by Iâ€™ve Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts by Danny Kaye Easy Blueberry Recipe: Fruit Tart from Growing Up Gabel inspired by Blueberry Hill by Fats Domino Espresso Nib Ice Cream from Vintage Kitchen Notes inspired by Black Coffee by Ella Fitzgerald Fancy Watermelon Lime Popsicles from Daily Dish Recipes inspired by Watermelon Crawl by Tracy Byrd Fresh Peach Pie from Killer Bunnies, Inc. inspired by Sweet Sweet Pie by PWEI Jamminâ€™ Oatmeal Cookies from What Smells So Good? inspired by Jamminâ€™ by Bob Marley Many Flavors Whipped Cream from Noshing with the Nolands inspired by Whipped Cream and Other Delights by Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass Peach Basil Pie from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen inspired by Peaches by POTUSA Pina Colada Poke Cake from Cookinâ€™ Mimi inspired by Two Pina Coladas by Garth Brooks Peach Donuts with Brown Sugar from Hezzi-Dâ€™s Books and Cooks inspired by Peaches by POTUSA Peach Strudel with Honey Bourbon Frozen Yogurt from A Kitchen Hoorâ€™s Adventures inspired by My Favorite Things from The Sound of Music & Wild Honey by U2 Rainbow Pops from The Urban Mrs inspired by Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice Salted Ripple Chip No-Churn Ice Cream from Cupcakes & Kale Chips inspired by Ice Cream by Sarah McLachlan Salted Peanut Swirl Peanut Butter Ice Cream from girlichef inspired by Salt Peanuts by The Quintet Shall We Dance? Fairy Cakes from The Ninja Baker inspired by Shall We Dance from the Japanese Film Sugar Crusted Zucchini Bread from That Skinny Chick Can Bake inspired by Sugar, Sugar by the Archies Tangerine Sorbet from Webicurean inspired by Tangerine Speedo by Caviar Yeasted Banana Bread from Janeâ€™s Adventures in Dinner inspired by I Like Bread and Butter by The New Beats Â Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Itâ€™s easy. You can sign up by clicking here ? Sunday Supper Movement.