I love cinnamon so it was the first spice I thought of when the #SundaySupper group announced that there would be a Spice It Up! challenge! I’m kind of a cinnamon snob. I know, silly right? I’ve narrowed down my favourite cinnamon to Penzey’s Vietnamese Extra Fancy Cinnamon.
The scone base is quite plain. It doesn’t have to be fancy because the best part is the streudel. You don’t want competing tastes or to be overwhelmed.
Scones usually have things mixed in or on top. I decided to layer these scones so that the streusel was in the middle where you couldn’t lose it. There’s nothing worse than losing the streusel topping on a dessert! That’s the best part. This way it’s protected.
Because I felt it needed something on top I added a bit of cinnamon sugar. It finishes off the scones nicely and just gives them a beautiful cinnamon colour.
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Margarine
- Egg replacer for 2 eggs (I use Ener-G)
- 1/3 cup Soy creamer
- 1/2 cup Toasted chopped walnuts
- 6 Tbsp Packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Margarine; melted
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 2-3 Tbsp Non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp Granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp Ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- With a fork, stir in the prepared egg replacer and non-dairy milk until just moistened.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead gently 8 to 10 times.
- Divide dough in half; pat each to a 6-inch circle, about 1 inch thick.
- Place one circle on an ungreased baking sheet; spread filling evenly on circle to within 1/2 inch of edge. Top with second circle; gently press edges to seal.
- Brush top with non-dairy milk. Combine 2 teaspoons granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle over top. Cut into 8 wedges but only through the top layer. This will help the filling from leaking out.
- Bake at 400° F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cut fully into 8 scones; serve warm.
Snappy Starters & Snacks
Hatch Chile, Grape & Grilled Onion Salsa from Shockingly Delicious
Spicy Tempeh Chips from The Urban Mrs
Sriracha Popcorn from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Cheese, Smoked Paprika and Fennel Crackers from What Smells So Good?
Baked Banana Pepper Poppers from Daily Dish Recipes
Spicy Black Bean and Corn Stew from Mama’s Blissful Bites
Caldo de Camaron y Pescado (Shrimp & Fish Soup) from girlichef
Bajia with Tomato and Chili Chutney from My cute bride
Shredded Buffalo Chicken Salad from Casa de Crews
Sriracha and Parmesan Fries from Mess Makes Food
Smoky Salmon Chowder from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Hummus with Spicy Turkish Ezme Salad from Neighborfood
Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppedew Peppers from Healthy. Delicious.
Tofu Hariyali Kebabs-(Tofu Kebabs in Cilantro Sauce) from Soni’s Food
Fiery Main Dishes
Spicy Stuffed Mexican Peppers from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Jalapeno Popper Fettuccine Alfredo from Chocolate Moosey
Baked Tilapia en Escabeche from La Cocina de Leslie
Spicy Grilled Chicken Wings with Two Dipping Sauces from Runner’s Tales
Chorizo and Scallop Skewers from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Buffalo Chicken Pizza from Cookin’ Mimi
Thai Cashew Chicken from Doggie at the Dinner Table
Skillet Jambalaya from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Firecracker Chicken from Juanita’s Cocina
Spiced Turkey Burger Patties from Cook the Story
Aubergine and Chickpea Curry from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Savory Tomato & Poblano Pie from An Appealing Plan
Venison Mole Rojo from Curious Cuisiniere
Za’atar Chicken with Fattoush from Food Lust People Love
Crispy Oven Fried Buffalo Chicken Tenders from In The Kitchen With KP
Skinny Buffalo Chicken Strips from Webicurean
BBQ Chicken Pizza with Poblano Peppers and Pepitas from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Spicy Thai Beef Salad from Magnolia Days
Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Spicy Lemon Paprika Chicken Thighs from Family Foodie
Searing Sauces & Seasonings
Homemade Buffalo Sauce from Growing Up Gabel
Whole grain Mustard recipe – Moutarde à l’ancienne from Masala Herb
Homemade Sriracha Sauce from kimchi MOM
Zesty Sweets & Sips
Cinnamon Streusel Scones from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Fiery Pomelo from My Other City By The Bay
Cinnamon Monkey Bread from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Cinnamon Peanut Butter Skillet Blondies with Ice Cream from Vintage Kitchen Notes
Goldilocks and the 3 Asian-Fusion Bars from NinjaBaking.com