I love molasses, I have no shame, even if it is something old people adore like prunes. Hell, I like prunes too. Anyway, I was thinking about molasses bars and tried to find a recipe. Decided to make one instead. These bars were more cake like, I wouldn’t have named them “chewy” but they were a great snack cake after work. The molasses flavour was light so if you aren’t a die hard fan I think you would still like them as is. I forgot to sprinkle these with powdered sugar, I was too busy shoving them in my face.
Molasses Bars Recipe
- 1/2 cup Shortening
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 Ener-G egg replacer mixed
- 1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts optional
- Powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Coat 9 x 9-inch pan lightly with no-stick cooking spray.
- Heat shortening and molasses to boiling in large saucepan, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in brown sugar. Add egg replacer. Combine flour, salt and baking soda in small bowl. Stir into molasses mixture. Blend in nuts. Spread in prepared baking pan.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into 16 bars.