Everyone has a banana bread recipe. Mostly because if you buy bananas weekly you never get to them quick enough unless you can do predictive math and just suck it up and have a banana when you don’t want one. I freeze a lot of them for green monsters but I find I go through banana phases. Some weeks I can’t get enough, some weeks I can’t look at one.
This recipe has an extra dose of healthy stuff with the addition of carrots. Kind of like carrot cake and banana bread had a baby. I really wanted to make an easy bread with no huge bells and whistles. The spices are based on carrot cake since with the addition carrots I thought it could use some warming spices. The nuts are optional, I’m not a huge fan but the husband is and it does add a nice texture. You can get the flecks of carrots past the pickiest of eaters, don’t worry, they will just think it’s tasty.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup mashed bananas (I use 2 small bananas, it's forgiving)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 Tbsp flaxseeds mixed with 3 Tbsp of water and set to gel
- 1 cup grated raw carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Sift the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to a large bowl and mix. Add the dry ingredients and then fold in the carrots and optional nuts.
- Turn into a medium sized well greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until done (can be up to an hour). Cool on a rack.