Since I had a huge fail of a recipe for gluten-free cookies I decided to take a chance. Now, when following this recipe you are really going to have to watch the texture. Why do I say that? Well, I’ve found that some margarines have a higher water content than others and this recipe can be soupy if you don’t add enough flour. Please use your best judgement when mixing the cookies. You’ve probably made chocolate chip cookies before, the dough should be wet but hold in ball form before baking.
These are chewy chocolate chip cookies, so enjoy with your favourite non-dairy milk!
Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 6 Tbsp margarine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 flax egg: 1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup garbanzo bean flour chick pea flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup of almond flour reserved
- 1/4 tsp baking spice or cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flax egg and set aside.
- Beat the margarine and sugars until creamy. Beat in the flax egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the 1 cup of each flour (garbanzo bean and almond) as well as the baking spice, baking soda and salt. Check the texture, and see if it needs more flour. If it doesn't hold up to a ball form (it doesn't have to be stiff, just hold a bit of a form) then add more almond flour as needed. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Drop balls of dough on the baking sheet with a small cookie scoop or teaspoons. The dough will be very sticky but should release from the scoop easily. Flatten the balls down a bit but they should spread as they cool. Bake for about 10-11 minutes until slightly gold along edges.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack for another 10 minutes.