So here’s a first that I wanted to share with you all. I know it’s pretty silly but this was my first time frying something. As in, with a ton of oil and the possibility of settingÂ myselfÂ on fire. I don’t think I’ve ever used more than 2-3 Tablespoons of oil in a pan before so it was time I turned in my virginity. Plus, I think the husband wants donuts.
Anyway, I had these sunchokes orÂ JerusalemÂ artichokes and everyone was roasting them. I mean, everyone. I roast veggies all the time so I wanted something different. I still had a taste for some Latkes since the holidays so I figured why not make up a recipe. Deep fried anything rocks, let’s get honest.
This recipe is a small batch. It makes 12 small latkes. Feel free to double the recipe (or more) if you have a crowd but I was only cooking for 2.
Vegan Sunchoke or Jerusalem Artichoke Latke Recipe
- 1/2 lb Sunchokes/Jerusalem Artichokes scrubbed but not peeled
- 1/2 Small White Onion
- 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Parsley
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Canola Oil for frying
- Shred the sunchokes and onion in a food process or by hand. Lightly squeeze out any moisture.
- Add the flour to the shredded mixture and season to taste.
- Heat the oil to 360-375 degrees. Using a 2 1/2 Tbsp scoop portion out the mixture and carefully add it to the pan.
- Cook both sides until brown and then place them on a paper towel to drain. Add a sprinkle of salt to the warm latkes and serve.