I love any sort of bran muffins. I’ve been playing around with a recipe since I had some apples to use up and haven’t been eating much lately. I’ve kind of hit an apple wall in just eating them plain anyway so I really wanted something not so boring. I guess a bran muffin isn’t so avant garde but hey, I love bran muffins. I’ve tried these with oat bran, wheat bran and wheat germ. All work okay but the bran is way better than the straight up wheat germ.
- 3 Tbs ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium apple, chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking spice or cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup organic unrefined sugar
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare your muffin pan.
- Peel and chop your apple.
- Whisk flax seeds and water until it gets thick.
- Add the sugar, non dairy milk, vegetable oil to the flax seeds and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wheat bran, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking spice and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and add the apple chunks and raisins.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin and bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.