It isn’t pretty but it is warm and comforting. And super easy. This is pretty much cooking a bunch of veg into a mess but it tastes great. You might need to adjust the water depending on the size of your pot and how you chop your veggies so watch it as it cooks. I think I added a can of water after the tomatoes were put in the pot. The veggies can be changed up for whatever needs to be used in the fridge. The starch in the canned beans really helps make the stew thick. If you want to rinse your beans you can mash up a bit of your potatoes to get a bit more body to the stew.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 can cannellini beans, unrinsed
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1-2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add a little water in a deep pot. Add the onion and garlic and sautee in the water.
- Add the carrot, potatoes, tomatoes, water, unrinsed beans (this makes it thick and starchy with the potatoes) and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer to cook the vegetables and potatoes.
- After 15 minutes or so, add the peas. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on a low flame for another 10 minutes and then turn off the flame. Let the stew sit for a while and it will thicken right up.