We don’t eat a lot of red sauce at home. I honestly love it and force it on the husband sometimes but he gets really bad heartburn and acid reflux so I try to limit when I push it on him. Instead, he does love cream sauces but I don’t at all. So we settle on pesto.
Vegan pesto can be meh. I mean, it doesn’t have cheese. I’ve made this recipe with a few tablespoons of vegan parmesan as well as nutritional yeast. Totally optional of course. Here’s the basic recipe, feel free to mess with it as you see fit.
Basic Vegan Garlic Pesto Recipe
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves or 1 bunch
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 bulb roasted garlic
- 3/4 teaspoons course sea salt
- juice of half of a lemon
- 1/3 cup of olive oil honestly I don't measure, see instructions
- Add everything but the olive oil to the food processor. Drizzle in olive oil until it starts to come together. You can adjust the level of olive oil depending on how thick you would like your pesto.