Our house is warm and we don’t have A/C. I’ve been having a love affair with these raw balls anyway, so I mixed it up with these. I had some raw hazelnuts so I had to toast those which heated up the kitchen anyway.
Funny thing is I love dried figs and I always keep them in the house, but I really don’t care for them fresh. I really loved the nut choice of hazelnuts and a bit of spice though. I made half a batch at first (shown, minus a few who might have landed in my mouth) since I didn’t have 8 ounces of dates left. No worries because I’ll go buy more!
Fig And Hazelnut Balls Recipe
- 8 oz pitted dates
- 8 figs chopped
- 3/4 cup toasted hazelnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- In a food processor, blend the dates until they form a sticky dough ball. If after a few minutes your dates haven’t come together, they might have been too dry to begin. Simply add a tablespoon of water and continue blending until they do come together.
- Move the date dough to a separate bowl. Chop the hazelnuts and figs in the food processor until they’re broken into small pieces.
- Dump the fig and hazelnut bits into the bowl with the date dough, adding in the cinnamon and nutmeg. Knead the two together. Break off pieces to roll into a ball or into a bar.
- Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to a week.