I made this random recipe years ago but I haven’t posted it here yet. I usually love using Drost cocoa powder for these, it gives them that really rich chocolate flavour. I didn’t have any this time so I defaulted to my regular brand. I’m kind of off the orange and chocolate kick I was on so they were a treat for the husband.
Chocolate-Orange Espresso Thins Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup 2 sticks margarine, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Coarse sanding sugar for sprinkling
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.
- Put the margarine, confectioners' sugar, orange zest, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until pale and fluffy. Gradually add flour mixture until just combined.
- Transfer dough to a 12-by-16-inch piece of parchment or cling film and shape into a log. Chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut log into 1/4-inch-thick slices; transfer to lined baking sheetsBrush tops with water; sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake until set, 15 to 17 minutes.