I made a cake, surprise! I love rhubarb and wanted to share a cake with the Fitbloggin crew so I pulled out the recipe I was working on. My first try turned out like a coffee cake which is what I was going for honestly. The second time my topping margarine was warm (left it out and we’re having a heatwave) so it made a paste. I dropped it onto the cake like I would a crumble and it turned out just as well but sank more into the cake and marbled. I loved it this way. There is a lot of sugar in this cake, I know but the rhubarb needs it. I’ve made it with and without the nuts, but it does do well with the added bit of texture. You can try cutting back on the sugar, I might next time, but I wanted something super sweet and one little piece goes a long way in this instance.
Vegan Rhubarb Cake Recipe
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg replacer 1 tbsp flax to 3 tbsp water, or ener-g egg replacer
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups raw rhubarb finely chopped
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 3 Tbs. margarine
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cinnamon 2 if you use Penzeys
- 2 tbsp flour
- Mix the apple cider vinegar and non dairy milk to make a buttermilk.
- Cream together brown sugar and oil and add the buttermilk mixture.
- Add egg replacer and vanilla, then add salt, baking soda and flour.
- Mix in rhubarb and walnuts.
- Pour into a 9x9 inch greased cake pan.
- Blend the topping ingredients and sprinkle over top of the cake.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.