I made a cake,Â surprise! I love rhubarb and wanted to share a cake with the Fitbloggin crew so I pulled out the recipe I was working on. My first try turned out like a coffee cake which is what I was going for honestly. The second time my topping margarine was warm (left it out and we’re having a heatwave) so it made a paste. I dropped it onto the cake like I would a crumble and it turned out just as well but sank more into the cake and marbled. I loved it this way. There is a lot of sugar in this cake, I know but the rhubarb needs it. Â I’ve made it with and without the nuts, but it does do well with the added bit of texture. You can try cutting back on the sugar, I might next time, but I wanted something super sweet and one little piece goes a long way in thisÂ instance.
Vegan Rhubarb Cake Recipe
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg replacer 1 tbsp flax to 3 tbsp water, or ener-g egg replacer
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups raw rhubarb finely chopped
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 3 Tbs. margarine
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cinnamon 2 if you use Penzeys
- 2 tbsp flour
- Mix the apple cider vinegar and non dairy milk to make a buttermilk.
- Cream together brown sugar and oil and add the buttermilk mixture.
- Add egg replacer and vanilla, then add salt, baking soda and flour.
- Mix in rhubarb and walnuts.
- Pour into a 9x9 inch greased cake pan.
- Blend the topping ingredients and sprinkle over top of the cake.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.