There are some things that I have been making for so long that I don’t even think about. I first posted about Cowgirl Casserole back on my LiveJournal in 2005. I had been making it before then but I never talked about my food. It is generally in rotation but it had fallen out of favour for at least over a year. A few weeks back the husband brought it up. I had completely forgotten about it, so cheers to refinding a old recipe and making it new.
Not even sure what the original source was, but it is very modified now to our tastes or what I have on hand. I only put the cheese on his half, I’ve gotten so used to eating it without. I generally serve it with toast or garlic bread. Yum!
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 diced bell pepper (used frozen peppers, mixed colours)
- 1 cup corn kernels (use frozen)
- 1 16 oz. can vegetarian baked beans (used the Heinz Beans in Tomato Sauce)
- 2 Tablespoons of BBQ sauce
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup
- Fake Bacon bits (I don't measure, I just pour them in, oopsie)
- Dash of liquid smoke
- 2 oz. shredded cheese for his side
- Heat oven 375.
- Saute onions, garlic, peppers, green beans in olive oil in sprayed skillet until veggies are soft.
- Stir in corn and baked beans, ketchup. Heat thru.
- Pour in to 8" square sprayed baking dish. Top with optional cheese.
- Cover and bake for 30 mins.