There is something about apples and peanut butter that is just heavenly. I don’t know why the two aren’t paired more in baking. I found a recipe for apple crisp on a mailing list ages that used a bit of peanut butter in the crisp part, but it wasn’t enough and it wasn’t vegan. Here’s my take on the recipe. If you like apples and peanut butter, I’d suggest making this as soon as you can! It would be good with some vanilla coconut milk ice cream or something, but we ate it plain. I also used my homemade peanut butter, so it had a bit of a gingerbread taste to it. Perfect!
- 6 to 8 apples (you can peel them, I didn't. chopped or sliced your choice, sliced would be more like pie)
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice or cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (especially if you don't have runny peanut butter)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange apple slices in bottom of a lightly oiled 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Mix lemon juice and water and pour over apples. Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Mix remaining ingredients until crumbly. You may need more or less oil depending on how thick your peanut butter is.
- Spread evenly over the apples.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown.