This is a weird concoction. I wrote the recipe as I actually made it, but I think that using fresh shaved fennel would be a lot better than dried. This is pretty much one Shannon serving, if you double it for more than one person, just use a whole can of chickpeas and a full head of kale. Pretty easy. I’m not really used to fennel flavour so I found it weird, yet refreshingly different.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed (or 1/2 cup of fresh fennel)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- pinch of salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup of chickpeas
- 1/2 bunch of kale
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet and sautee the onion, fresh fennel (if using) and garlic.
- Add the broth, dry spices and the kale. Bring to a boil and put a lid on the skillet for 10 minutes.
- Once the kale is a bit soft, add the chickpeas and heat through.