I knew it when I thought of them one morning that I had to make these bars. The name is a mouthful huh? At work they were nicknamed “sugarbombs”. Which is quite true. I made them vegan (margarine, almond milk) and instead of Nutella I used Bright Morning Chocolate Spread. It works great in cooking. Mine aren’t blended as smooth as hers because I used crunchy peanut butter.
This recipe really does make a lot (I also used a 9×9 pan) so be sure to share with friends. I’m keeping some in the freezer for the husband who is completely jealous. He gets here late next week, let’s hope I can leave them alone long enough!
Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting
For the bars:
- 1 c margarine melted
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 c graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 c Vegan Nutella
- 2/3 c peanut butter
For the chocolate frosting:
- 1.5 c chocolate chips
- 1/4 c margarine
- 1/4 c soymilk
- 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the margarine.
- Add the brown sugar, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and stir by hand until combined (will look lumpy and strange).
- Add the graham cracker crumbs and stir until combined.
- Add the Nutella and peanut butter and stir until combined.
- Press the mixture into a sprayed 9 x 9 pan (for thinner bars, use a 9 x 13 pan but I prefer thicker bars). Place in freezer.
- While the bars are cooling, make the chocolate frosting by melting the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, taking care not to scorch them and checking every 15-30 seconds or so.
- After the chocolate chips are melted add in margarine and soymilk and stir to incorporate.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and stir to incorporate. If mixture becomes too thick to work with and the chocolate begins to set up, microwaving it again for 15 seconds will soften it.
- When the frosting is ready, remove the bars from the freezer, frost them, and put bars back into the freezer to set up for a half hour before slicing them.