I’ve made these a few times and forgot about them. It is a great recipe from Have Cake Will Travel though. I used regular chocolate chips this time and got no complaints. These are hard to get right in the oven though, as I noticed last time. For some reason my middle muffins even when checked with a toothpick always come out a bit undercooked. However, we have learned to deal with this by eating them like the little molten cakes that they should be!
So go ahead and get your chocolate tastebuds back in gear. They are low fat and tasty.
Double Chocolate Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour [not pastry]
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 5 T applesauce
- 1 T balsamic white vinegar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 cup Silk plain soy creamer
- 1/3 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- preheat oven to 350F, prepare a jumbo muffin pan with non stick cooking spray.
- in a large bowl, combine flours, salt, sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda. mix well with a whisk. add chocolate chips, mix in. [you can also choose to fold the chocolate chips in after having mixed the wet ingredients with the dry, but I found out it makes absolutely no difference in these muffinsâ€™ case.]
- in a separate large bowl, combine applesauce, vinegar, vanilla, and soy creamer, whisking them well too.
- combine wet/dry ingredients, do not overmix.
- bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. let cool in the pan on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes before attempting to remove.