Baking, Food, Recipes, Sweet, Vegan

Vegan MoFo Iron Chef Challenge: Mashed Potatoes

November 6, 2010

This is going to be so much fun. A challenge was posted over at Don’t Eat Off The Sidewalk and it should be fun. Or really boring. Mashed potatoes. There are rules:

1.  Any kind of potato goes.  White, red, yukon gold, sweet, doesn’t matter.

2.  This might go without saying, but no, you cannot just submit a bowl of mashed potatoes!

I’m a baker. I could have wimped out and went to the store to get a sweet potato, or make a savoury dish. I don’t like sweet potatoes, but hey, I can bake with that. Plus, I already went to Whole Foods today and I didn’t want to go out again. This is what I had in the kitchen:

Mini red potatoes from the farmer’s market. Yeah. Not even a full baking potato. I like em fine smashed, but well, mashed potatoes and baking with said ingredient calls for peeling them. Yes. I peeled mini potatoes. As I was peeling the slippery bastards I was muttering “FML” under my breath. Seriously. Boiled and mashed I had enough for my recipe.

What did I make? Needham Candy. It’s from Maine. You think Idaho and potatoes, but these east coasters have it right. Do you know what it really is? A mounds bar. Totally full of awesome. I researched a bunch of recipes online, and they are all super simple. I only had a little under a half cup of mashed potatoes, so I went my own direction. I didn’t mash them very well, but the texture is just fine by me. I guess you could almost puree them, but I had no patience. I also really hate dipping candies in chocolate. A lot. UGH. I forgot how much I hate that. It is purely based on the fact that I’m really bad at it.

Vegan Needham Candy

1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp plain mashed potatoes
2 Tbsp margarine
1 lb confectioners sugar
4 oz unsweetened coconut
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

Mix all of the ingredients together. Place in individual molds or in an 8×8 pan.

Place in the fridge or freezer until firm.

When firm, cut into bars and melt 4 oz the chocolate.

Dip pieces into chocolate, add more chocolate to melt if needed (I like mine thick)

Let cool on a silpat or wax paper.

You Might Also Like

21 Comments

• Reply omgoshimvegan November 6, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Wow those look fantastic.

• Reply T. November 6, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Oh my. And I just bought potatoes…but not a trace of chocolate in the house. Tomorrow, tomorrow.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

• Reply Meg B November 6, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Yum! I might have to try making these myself. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

• Reply JoLynn-dreaminitvegan November 6, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Wow how inventive you are! I just found your blog from Don’t Eat Off the Sidewalk

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

• Reply Jody November 6, 2010 at 11:59 PM

I’m going to try this with the leftover taters from my challenge entry! Looks YUMMY!

• Reply angela November 7, 2010 at 6:58 PM

ooh! these look delicious!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

• Reply Eileen November 7, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Sorry, didn’t mean to post my entry to your blog, please ignore my previous comment :)

Your candy recipe looks delicious!

• Reply Vegan MoFo #6: Iron Chef Mashed! at Don’t Eat Off The Sidewalk! November 7, 2010 at 10:12 PM

[…] made vegan Needham Candy, which is basically a mounds bar, but with potatoes and […]

• Reply FoodFeud November 8, 2010 at 1:05 AM

These look great – and two of the best foods: chocolate and potatoes together! Quite original.

• Reply Megan November 8, 2010 at 4:46 AM

I am totally making these with almonds!

• Reply Mo November 9, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Yes! Those look fabulous!

• Reply Veg-in-Training November 11, 2010 at 1:04 AM

I never would have thought to make candy out of mashed potatoes. Genius!

• Reply Jenny RSS December 2, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Needham candy is a fine meal. I really love everything related to potatoes.

• Reply landscaping photo gallery January 2, 2011 at 2:51 AM

I wish my entries looked like this! That is a pat on the back, btwI am new to article submitting and reading various blog posts is helping me write better with my own. Any info you could throw my way to help is very appreciated. Thanks for the good info on this article!

• Reply Hanna January 13, 2011 at 11:23 PM

That’s a great idea! I’d heard of Irish potato candy (sweet mashed potatoes rolled in cocoa), but making coconut candy is fabulous! I’ve read some of your other entries and enjoyed them; keep it up!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

• Reply Resorna February 10, 2011 at 2:57 AM

i’ve begun to visit this cool site a couple of times now and i have to say that i find it quite great actually. keep the nice work up! =p

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘103351452 which is not a hashcash value.

• Reply resa February 25, 2011 at 4:21 PM

kinda enjoyed the article that you posted actually. it just is not that simple to find even remotely good posts toactually read (you know.. READ! and not simply going through it like some zombie before going somewhere else), so cheers mate for not wasting my time! ;)

• Reply Paketresor March 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM

i’ve checked this cool site a couple of times now and i have to say that i find it quite nice actually. keep it up! ;)

• Reply Dulce De Batata, Sweet Potato Sweet Mash From Viva Vegan! | Killer Bunnies, Inc March 14, 2011 at 1:20 PM

[…] I could NOT imagine using this in the cake featured in the recipe book. It isn’t like the Needham Candy at all. I mean, there was no obvious “I’m eating potatoes!” in the Needham […]

• Reply Marsha Needham January 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I need to try these ,,They look delicious ,Plus my last name is Needham!

• Reply Shannon January 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM

If your last name is needham you for sure need to try them! That’s pretty awesome!